Page 12 of 14
National Rural Health Alliance update – Joe McGir
- Joe is the FRAME rep on NRHA council and has been asked to sit on the Board which he has just accepted
- NRHA is one of the co-sponsors with ACCRM of the World Rural Health conference in Cairns in 2017
- Suggestion of having a FRAME day, where we showcase what RCSs do and have achieved in in rural medicine in Australia as part of this conference in Cairns
- NRHA has their 5th Rural and Remote scientific symposium in Canberra the on the 6-7th September with focus on national data and research organisations and tools available to access data in remote and rural areas
- Good opportunity for RCSs to send their research staff to engage and to be updated
- The NRHA has also negotiated access to the journal of rural health for its members. Please see Joe if you need access.
- There will be a farewell to Gordon Gregory, the CEO and founder of the NRHA on the 9th June
- NRHA is going through a period of change and the Board now has the opportunity to rethink its direction and strategy as it moves forward. Kim Webber is now acting in the CEO role for the next 6 months.
- NRHA has been reliant on funding by the government and has now been re-funded for the next 3 years as a peak representative organisation and is now facing a number of challenges:
- Can the Alliance continue to function without looking at other opportunities?
- NRHA is now made up of 35 organisations and how the Govt structure around that will enable them to function?